Super good at

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Super good at

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 04, 2017 7:53 am

Hi you guys! What words do you use for a person who is super good at this kind of sport?

http://www.huongdanbida.com/2016/04/day ... om-bi.html

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Super good at

Post by BonnieL » Fri May 05, 2017 3:58 am

Could be a pool shark. Not absolutely sure as I don't play.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 pm

BonnieL wrote:Could be a pool shark. Not absolutely sure as I don't play.
Is it pool? I have no idea.

Generally expert or champion (if they had won a competition) or wizard used to work. There are probably far more modern term - some of which may have limited social acceptability.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by BonnieL » Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 pm

tony h wrote:
According to The Music Man - "Right here in River City. Trouble with a capital "T" And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!"

Is it billiards in the UK?
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 am

BonnieL and tony h : Thank you two very much.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat May 06, 2017 10:49 am

BonnieL wrote:
tony h wrote:
According to The Music Man - "Right here in River City. Trouble with a capital "T" And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!"

Is it billiards in the UK?
It isn't billiards. There are three "traditional" cue games in England.
- Billiards which is played with three balls: a red, a white and a white with a yellow spot.
- Snooker which is played with the familiar triangle of red balls and a variety of coloured ones.
- Bar Billiards, a game found during WW2 on the continent and brought back, has a very different table it has holes in the middle of the table, rather than pockets, and is played just from one end of the table which makes it very compact. https://res.cloudinary.com/bidlogix/ima ... jgni5f.jpg

Then there is American pool which I think arrived in force in the late '70s. It had the advantage that it was compact enough to have tables in pubs. I remember playing once and found it a most unsatisfactory game.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat May 06, 2017 6:42 pm

It is indeed billiards. In Britain billiards is played on a table with pockets, and is apparently called, "English Billiards". The game in Steven's clip is "Carom Billiards".
I don't like the phrase, "super good", but we would someone who is expert, as an excellent billiards player, or brilliant at billiards, or something else along those lines.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sun May 07, 2017 3:34 am

Bob : Thanks for your input.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Bobinwales wrote:It is indeed billiards. In Britain billiards is played on a table with pockets, and is apparently called, "English Billiards". The game in Steven's clip is "Carom Billiards".
Thanks Bob. I was aware of a carom in billiards but not of Carom Billiards. Very interesting.
Nor had I, as attested in your link, heard of heating the slate.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon May 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Heating the slate is a new one on me as well, Tony. I did wonder how they did it. An open fire under the table?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.