Rat's ass

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Rat's ass

Post by Stevenloan » Tue May 02, 2017 12:13 pm

A and B are friends. A defeats B in a drinking contest and here's the situation:

A: What’s up, Malloy? You’re losing your touch.
B: My wife and I have plans tonight and they don’t include you guys. I’ll get killed if I don’t get out of here.
A: What’s your problem? She’ll be pissed anyway. One more round isn’t gonna make a rat’s ass difference.

Hi you guys! I checked the meaning of "rat's ass" on Google and many results showed up for "I don't give a rat's ass". Could you please tell me the exact meaning of "make a rat's ass difference" in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Rat's ass

Post by tony h » Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am

I would be surprised if it has a specific meaning. It is just something the speaker has used to convey something of no value.

So in the it doesn't make a ... difference you could use any and more of phrases such as these:
- blade of grass
- grain of sand
- politician's promise
- one cent
- hundred dollar (note then sense of scale of difference)

The example you give has crude illusions which presumably play to the nature of the speaker or to shock or humour the listener depending on the listener's nature.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 pm

tony h : Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 am

This term has been thoroughly discussed on this site.

Use Google to find the discussions that contain it:

Rat's ass site:www.wordwizard.com
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 am

Erik: Thanks for your suggestion.
Post actions:

End of topic.