Flower

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Flower

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi you guys! What terms do you use for the flower which is stuck in front of the groom's jacket in the following link?

https://vinaflower.vn/y-nghia-hoa-cai-a ... g-doi.html

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Flower

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

A button-hole.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:55 pm

On this side of the pond, "button-hole" would only be understood as the hole that the button goes into. For some reason we use the French word, "boutonniere" to refer to the flower that you put in a button-hole...odd because "boutonniere" translates to "button-hole". Perhaps French is a little more flowery than English.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

tony h and trolley : Thank you two very much.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

trolley wrote:On this side of the pond, "button-hole" would only be understood as the hole that the button goes into. For some reason we use the French word, "boutonniere" to refer to the flower that you put in a button-hole...odd because "boutonniere" translates to "button-hole". Perhaps French is a little more flowery than English.
I do wish we'd stuck with the English - I have trouble spelling boutonniere without the help of spell-check.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm

I had to look it up to get the spelling correct. I spelt it, phonetically, into Google thinking it would reply "Did you mean boutonniere?"... but no. Apparently a lot of people use "boutineer". I'm not sure if it is an acceptable alternate spelling or just tons of people making the same error. Even some florist companies were calling it a "boutoneer". I guess it's following the same path as boucanier did to become buccaneer.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:03 am

trolley wrote:I'm not sure if it is an acceptable alternate spelling or just tons of people making the same error. Even some florist companies were calling it a "boutoneer". I guess it's following the same path as boucanier did to become buccaneer.
I'm pretty sure they are just attempting to spell the word phonetically in line with a common North American pronunciation.

I don't think that 'boutineer' is commonly regarded as a standard spelling.
Post actions:

End of topic.