Person

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Person

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi everyone! What words do you use for a person who doesn't have a job or a house and occupies an abandoned place?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Person

Post by trolley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:55 pm

The most common term now would probably be "homeless person". In my younger days they would have been called bums, hobos, tramps or vagrants. I am sure those are no longer PC. The British expression "sleeping rough" is used a lot , around here now to describe this type of behavior. I am not too clear though...I always thought that meant sleeping outside in the streets or on a park bench or under a chunk of cardboard.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 pm

In the UK to occupy an abandoned place, whether or not you are working, is squatting; the place is called the squat; the occupiers are squatters and in law (in England) the squatters can claim squatters rights. Squatting is generally associated with anti-social people who are destructive to the property but this is not always the case.

To ensure your occasional palace is not invaded by squatters it is quite common to employ "house sitters".
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 pm

trolley and tony h: Thank you two very much.
Post actions:

End of topic.