See well

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

See well

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:21 am

"Just in time for your summer vacation, TripAdvisor has announced the winners of its Travelers' Choice awards for attractions. And the No. 1 tourist attraction in the U.S. is Gettysburg National Park in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, which sees well over 1 million visitors each year. Several states were represented on the list this year, but six of the attractions are in Washington, D.C."

Hi everyone! Could you please tell me what "sees well" means in this situation?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: See well

Post by tony h » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

See if this illustrates it:

A vase is on sale for £1000. The vase is £1000.

A vase is on sale for £1010. The vase is just over £1000.
A vase is on sale for £1050. The vase is over £1000. - OK all of these phrases could just use "over".
A vase is on sale for £1200. The vase is well over £1000.

The visitor attraction "sees" visitors. The "well over" suggests the number is significantly in excess of some useful number.

A: Our shops rely on passing trade. We need premises which have at least 800,000 people passing weekly.
B: There are two sites available which meet our needs but this site is the favourite as our observations show a footfall of well over a million.

So the issue is not that the attraction "sees well", but that it "sees ... well over".

Note:
With my reading glasses the optimal distance is about two feet. Without glasses I can see well over ten feet.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am

The verb see can be widely applied to describe all kinds of abstract scenarios and concepts:
  • [*]The past few years have seen a decrease in the level of violent crime in the United States.
    [*]Like most of the years so far in this millennium, 2017 is expected to see another average global temperature that exceeds the previous record high.
    [*]Donald, I see no good reason for your appalling behaviour.
    [*]I see a benefit to the business from giving my customer-facing employees a pay rise.
    [*]I see less scope for expanding our operations than I once envisaged.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 am

tony h and Erik : Thank you two very much.
Post actions:

End of topic.