Wallets

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Wallets

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi you guys! Which sentence is correct between "1. This wallet has quite a lot of pockets" and "2. This wallet has quite a lot of compartments" in the following links? I post two links in case one of them is faulty.

http://www.vinamhanghieu.net/2016/04/vi ... trong.html (The second picture)

http://www.dathiet.com/vi-bop-da-bo-tha ... -navi.html (The second picture)

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Wallets

Post by BonnieL » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 pm

According to wiki they're card slots. I've never called them anything - I just use them.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I would call them pockets.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 am

I had no idea so I looked up a couple of adverts for wallets.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/con ... 51785_INTL

Esteemed 137-year-old brand Connolly is famous for its top-quality leather, which has been used to upholster the seats of classic cars, the House of Commons and the desks of the British Library. This 'Hex' wallet is bordered with neat white stitching and detailed with two silver studs. The interior is fitted with an array of card slots and slip pockets for keeping your notes secure.

From another:

Zip around wallet in check print coated canvas featuring gold tone metal hardware, a font logo emboss, leather zip puller, twelve credit card slots, two slip pocket and centre zipped pocket.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:22 pm

You can't argue with what the manufacturers say! The bits you keep your credit cards in are "card slots" and the bits you keep your notes in are called "(slip) pockets".

But if I was in a store choosing a wallet with a friend, I would possibly call them "compartments" or "pockets". More probably, I would just say something like "this one has plenty of space for all my credit cards".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Phil White wrote:More probably, I would just say something like "this one has plenty of space for all my credit cards".
A similar recent scenario. "Have you got those plates that cover key-holes? "Do you mean an escutcheon?"
Last edited by tony h on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Gesundheit!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Thank you all for your input
Post actions:

End of topic.