making

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

making

Post by digitalen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:06 pm

When Bowerman took his idea to several existing shoe companies, he was literally laughed at. In fact, every single company turned him down. Though rather discouraged, Bowerman persevered and went on to form his own company, making NIKE athletic shoes.

I would like to know the meaning of "making" in "making NIKE athletic shoes"
1. who made = and he made (he=Bowerman)
2. which made = and it made (it=his own company)
Last edited by digitalen on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:

Re: ㅡ마ㅑㅜㅎ

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 pm

It's grammatically ambiguous. Because the subject of the clause 'making NIKE athletic shoes' is not clearly specified (as you have already noticed), the wording can imply either 1) or 2) or both.

Although such a lack of precision is poor style, in this instance it probably doesn't matter too much. We can assume, I think, that Bowerman did not personally construct the shoes he manufactured, and so meaning 2) is more plausible.

What's the significance of the line-draw and Korean (?) characters in the title of your posting?
Post actions:

Re: ㅡ마ㅑㅜㅎ

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:What's the significance of the line-draw and Korean (?) characters in the title of your posting?
I offered the characters to Google Translate. It recognised them as Korean but did not offer a translation, only the very cryptic "Do you mean "making?"".

So I entered 'making' and asked for a translation into Korean and got, 만들기 mandeulgi at which point I gave up.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: making

Post by tony h » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:26 pm

The structure allows for some drama. The sort that occurs when a magician pulls a rabbit/flowers/doves out of a hat.

So the build up of drama :
1. Bowerman persevered and went on to form his own company. - This is just an ordinary story.
2. Bowerman persevered and went on to form his own company, making athletic shoes. - That's great that he moved on but nothing startling.
3. Bowerman persevered and went on to form his own company, making athletic shoes. He sold the business for $50,000,000. - That's pretty amazing. Bet the companies that turned him down regret that decision.
4. Bowerman persevered and went on to form his own company, making NIKE athletic shoes. - Oh my god! That is huge. He was Mr Nike. Even my dad has heard of Nike.

If you went for "Bowerman persevered and went on to form NIKE athletic shoes" - The story is still there but the drama has been lost.

OH, and the "making NIKE athletic shoes" is the company making them. Whether he cut, sowed and glued the first shoes is not the point of the phrase.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.