Popsicle

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Popsicle

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi you guys! What do you call the silver thing surrounding the Popsicle? It's used to prevent the melted part of the Popsicle from dropping on your hand ? (Picture number 14 in the following link)

http://khamphakienthuc.com/doi-song/16- ... 19188.html

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Popsicle

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 pm

It's an [alumin[i]um-coated / [tin]foil-coated] cupcake {wrapper / liner} repurposed as a {popsicle / [ice] lolly} {drip tray / drip catcher}.

------------------
Note: Text enclosed in square brackets [...] indicates optional descriptors.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks for the link, Steve. Some of those ideas make me wish our kids were young again!

But what's with the glow sticks in the bathtub? I can't figure that one out. Or the hot glue on the plastic sandals.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 am

Erik : Thank you so so much for the terms. They're awesome. BonnieL : People put hot glue on the plastic sandals in order for their kids' sandals not to be slippery. People throw glow sticks into the bathtub to make the bathtub look appealing and their kids will jump in to take a bath right away.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Steven, it would be very remiss of me not to say that we do not use the word, "popsicle" in the UK. We call them 'ice lollipops' or simply 'ice lollies'.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:54 am

Bob : Thank you very much for letting me know about the difference.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:29 am

Steve in Aus we call them ice blocks and we don't use the funny thing to stop them dripping. Aussie kids don't give them time to drip. Hee hee hee

WoZ who is a licker
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by trolley » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:05 pm

"Popsicle" is a genericized trademark, like Kleenex or Frisbee. Those things should be called ice pops...but I've never anyone in North America who doesn't call them popsicles.
Post actions:

End of topic.