Chairs

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Chairs

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call this kind of long chair used at resorts' swimming pools?

http://lory.vn/ghe-ho-boi-go-lr103.html

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Chairs

Post by trolley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Beach chair, deck chair, sun chair, pool chair, chez longue (or chez lounge in North America). Chez longue and chez lounge originally referred an an upholstered, indoor (long) chair but today, most people around here use it to mean the type you are asking about.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 pm

trolley wrote:...chez longue (or chez lounge in North America). Chez longue and chez lounge originally referred an an upholstered, indoor (long) chair but today, most people around here use it to mean the type you are asking about.
Normally spelled 'chaise' (= the French word for chair).

As trolley almost said, the original French term is chaise longue, meaning 'long chair', but Americans have tended to turn it into the equally logical-seeming chaise lounge, i.e. 'chair for lounging on'.

As well as the terms that trolley mentioned, you may also find this kind of chair described as a recliner / sun recliner / deck recliner / pool recliner / [reclining] sun lounger.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Ooops...I must've gotten confused with the long house. So much for all that French they drilled into me in school as the second official Canadian language. Tabernac!
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Well I didn't know sun loungers were now called chaise longue (or lounge).

The chaise longue always had an enticing, mysterious and beguiling air about them. In my younger days they had escaped from boudoirs and private sitting rooms into the hallways and lounges in modern houses. The danger for young men, or the opportunity, was in the way ladies could sit quite properly and then, in a moment, lie languidly on their side or back, mesmerising any young gentleman that were in their sight.

Reading, especially poetry, to ladies seemed to encourage all sorts of flirtation. I suspect times have changed.

Also similar but different : the Recamier, the Méridienne and the Duchesse brisée.

An excellent use for a chaise longue. http://www.shorpy.com/portrait-of-a-you ... =_original
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks for that link, Tony. What a lovely image!
Post actions:

End of topic.