Containers

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Containers

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi there! Do you guys call these stainless steel containers "a set of four-floor stainless steel food container"? Where I live, people use this set to contain breakfast, lunch or dinner.

http://khuyenmaivang.vn/san-pham/camen- ... 39326.html

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Containers

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 pm

I have never seen anything like that here.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

The company advertising this product is Vietnamese.

In line with Bob's remark, the product doesn't seem to be distributed outside Vietnam, and it therefore lacks an English-language description. However, I'd call it a closed {four-tier / four-compartment} stainless steel food container.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I am not sure it's correct (politically, or otherwise) but we call them Chinese lunch boxes.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:44 am

I can't tell from the picture how big it is, but could it be a bento box? They can be made of stainless steel.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 am

Thank you all so so much
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 pm

In England the main influence for these comes from India. They go by the names of a Dabba or Tiffin box/set.

I have one. A set of three containers in an insulated container. Excellent for lunches. In India lunches are delivered in these through a complex delivery system of Dabbawallahs.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Yes, spot on Tony. It's certainly where I would know them from. Amazing system. Amazing food!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

Phil White wrote:Yes, spot on Tony. It's certainly where I would know them from. Amazing system. Amazing food!
Thank you.

I don't seem to hear the word tiffin much these days. As a lad, especially in summer, when we were encouraged to break off from the exertions of gardening, ball games or reading in the shade of the trees to go up to the house for a spot of tiffin. Always a "spot of" not sure why. Tiffin occurred usually because lunch had been forgotten, and supper was going to be the main meal, in the early afternoon. More substantial than an English tea, being cake or scone served with a pot of tea, as it was augmented by sandwiches and light dishes such as salad. And always conversation.

Nowadays "tea" as a meal seems to be an after school/ after work meal of dubious culinary worth.

PS going for tiffin with a grass widow may also have involved other games.
Last edited by tony h on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Tony, do you have predictive text on?
I am sure that you didn't mean to write, "I don't seem to here the word tiffin".
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 am

Bobinwales wrote:Tony, do you have predictive text on?
I am sure that you didn't mean to write, "I don't seem to here the word tiffin".
Thanks Bob, I am just being incompetent. I am making more mistakes these days.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 pm

tony h wrote: Thanks Bob, I am just being incompetent. I am making more mistakes these days.
I know the feeling Tony, I know the feeling. But having said that, predictive text is a sod!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:02 am

Bobinwales wrote:
tony h wrote: Thanks Bob, I am just being incompetent. I am making more mistakes these days.
I know the feeling Tony, I know the feeling. But having said that, predictive text is a sod!
So my friend Anal tells me...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.