Brown cover

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Brown cover

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all members! What do you call the brown covers around the paper cups? (The second picture with four paper cups and straws).

http://www.papercupvietnam.com/index.ph ... c?start=54

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Brown cover

Post by trolley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Those are called "coffee sleeves, coffee cozies, or coffee jackets". They are designed to insulate your fingers from the hot contents. When I saw the drinking straws in your picture I wondered why they were using coffee sleeves on cold drinks...then I noticed it said "coffee" on the side of the cup. Is it common practice, where you live, to sip hot drinks through a straw?
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 am

trolley: Thanks a lot for the terms. It is not common practice to sip hot drinks through a straw where I live. The picture in the link is just an advertisement, I guess.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Steve & trolley, in Aus we will sometimes slip a straw into a coffee so we can tell them apart, say a double shot from a single or something like that.

WoZ who is drinking dirty chai at the moment
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:02 am

WoZ: Thanks for your input.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:17 pm

When I was in Australia I saw sleeves made for beer bottles. I never did work out whether it was to keep the beer cold or your fingers warm. Perhaps WoZ can enlighten me.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Bob they are called stubby holders and are one of the main pieces of equipment in any serious drinkers kit. I do appreciate that you Welsh gentlemen prefer to drink your ales warmish and find the cold glass in Aus a slight shock to your system. However stubby holders make sure that our beer stays cold.

Some stubby holders become a symbol of maturity and are passed down to ones son when they reach the magic age at which they can join in the backyard BBQ and share a tinnie with the boys. Fights have taken place when some unaware visitor happens to use the hosts "special" stubby holder. Legend has it that there is a hidden Stubby Holder of Plenty that always has a cold beer of whatever kind the possessor wishes to drink. It is buried with the BBQ of Heat that never runs out of gas or meat and cooks any meat to perfection being able to cook rare to well done meats all at the same time so everyone can eat together. Many have died in the search for these magic relics.

WoZ the bard
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.