Bring food home

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bring food home

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

I order something to eat at a restaurant but I just can eat half of it so I want to tell the waitress to put it in a container so that I can bring it home. Could I say it like this in this situation?

1. Could I have this wrapped up to take home, please?
2. Can I get this to go box?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Bring food home

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Could I have a doggy bag for this, please? (The 'doggy bag' being intended for a pet at home, whether it's real or imagined — the server doesn't care.)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:35 am

Erik : I'm really sorry for my late reply. I was so absent-minded. Hic hic. Thank you very much.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

No worries. In my opinion, thanks are only necessary if the provider of the information has clearly expended a lot of time and effort on their response (which I had not), and therefore deserves special acknowledgment.

BTW, the format you used in your variant 1) would also work just fine.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

It's so very common here that I just ask for a box. Or if I've been chatty with the waiter I'll say I want to take the leftovers home & he/she brings me a box.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 pm

I am not aware of the doggy-bag being a common thing in UK restaurants. Our son, on moving to America, says it is common there.

It has always struck me as a rather odd idea. Why would you want to order so much you feel the need to take some home? Why would you want to carry around a bag of left over food? Then to have a fridge full of left over food?

In normal cooking we generally try to cook only as much as would be eaten. There are certain exceptions. Rib of beef is always roasted with some extra as cold rib of beef is excellent.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 am

tony h wrote:Why would you want to order so much you feel the need to take some home? Why would you want to carry around a bag of left over food? Then to have a fridge full of left over food?

In normal cooking we generally try to cook only as much as would be eaten.
When you order a single dish, as a customer you have no idea whether the portion will turn out to be oversized compared with your appetite. I also think that many people like the notion that they can get away with just reheating one of their next meals instead of going to the trouble and expense of making their own.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:38 am

tony h wrote:It has always struck me as a rather odd idea. Why would you want to order so much you feel the need to take some home? Why would you want to carry around a bag of left over food? Then to have a fridge full of left over food?
American restaurant meals are way too often overloaded - when I have meat left over I will take it home for myself. But there are foods I can't eat. When the meal includes those, instead of saying don't put on this & this & still paying the full price, I take those things home for my chickens. They have become very fond of hashbrowns. :)
Post actions:

End of topic.