Hats

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hats

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi you guys! What do you call the hat covering the two ears of the man on the left in the following picture?

http://www.imgrum.net/media/1085629757444171809_8485873

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Hats

Post by BonnieL » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm

I know there must be a proper name for this kind of hat - which is useful here - but I've always called them hats with ear flaps. I'm looking forward to finding out the real name! :)

eta - I just did a google search & apparently that's what they are really called!
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:15 pm

In our house they were called trapper hats. Google seems to confirm this name.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:16 pm

These hats have been worn in Russia, Serbia and the Ukraine for centuries. The Russian name is "Ushanka". The RCMP and various other Canadian police forces have had them as part of their uniforms for as long as I can remember. We always called them "Russian hats". They are now fairly popular as stylish winter wear and probably the most common name around here is "Trapper hats" (in reference to the North American fur-traders of the 18th and 19th centuries.)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:44 am

Thank you guys so much
Post actions:

End of topic.