Boxing

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Boxing

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi you guys! Boxing fighters usually wear a plastic piece to protect their teeth before matches. Do you call it "a boxing teeth protector"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Boxing

Post by trolley » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Steve, those things are called "mouth guards". They aren't just for combat sports though. They can be used in any sport where there might be impact to the mouth area such as hockey, basketball, American football. I think they originally were for boxing but are becoming more common in many other sports. I think they are required in youth soccer (football) in North America but I don't think many pro players wear them in that sport.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Often called gum shields, although mouth guard seems a better description.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 pm

I would go with "gum shield" as well. It may be a UK/US thing.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:11 am

trolley, tony h and Phil White : I would like to thank you three very much for the terms.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 am

Gentlemen a new and excellent use for mouth guards is in the prevention of snoring. My sweetheart who I love and adore and who shares my bed was a snorer of massed pipe band proportions. She now wears a mouth guard that pushes her bottom jaw out slightly. Net result is that we now only have small snuffles, the quality of her sleep has improved, she wakes up refreshed and overall is in much better mood. A win/win if ever there was one.

WoZ sleeping
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.