with your New England accent

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

with your New England accent

Post by azz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:35 am

a. I can't get over you with your New England accent.

What does 'with' mean in this sentence?

Many thanks and Happy New Year.
Post actions:

Re: with your New England accent

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Frankly I don't know if it has any meaning at all. It is a sort of colloquialism I suppose.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 am

The sentence means something like "I'm having trouble getting used to your New Jersey accent" or "I can't believe that you're speaking with a New Jersey accent", depending on the context. The 'with' simply signifies the possession of (or association with) the attribute in question.

As for myself, I'm having trouble getting used to the new jersey that someone gave me for Christmas: rough, coarse and several sizes too big.

But enough about Chris Christie.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 am

azz wrote: I can't get over you with your New England accent.
Context matters and some knowledge. For some interpretations I presume there is some cachet to having a "New England accent" eg it is posh or alluring.

So some thoughts:
Brought up in small town Alabama Jo makes it through school and ends up going to university in New England. He is now a lawyer in his new England town wearing smart suits, newly modelled teeth and losing his Alabama accent.
On a rare return to his home town his sister says "I can't get over you with your New England accent, gleaming white teeth and smart shoes".
In this case I can't get over you with your New England accent means I can't get used to (it still surprises me) the changes in you.
Sue had always had a tendency to swoon at the sound of a New England accent and was in clover when she met Jeff, handsome, rich, witty and the most divine New England Accent. But Jeff left Sue because she he a tendency for loose flatulence in public places. Some years later they ran into each other at a party, older, wiser but both still single and Sue had resolved her gaseous emissions. Sue said to Jeff, "There has never been anyone else I can't get over you with your New England accent".
This means Sue cannot get over (her attraction to Jeff) with (his especially attractive feature) of a New England accent.

( I might add to this post later)
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.