Bathroom device

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bathroom device

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello all members! What do you call this bathroom device?

http://noithatanhkhoa.vn/bon-tieu-nam-caesar-u0291.html

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Bathroom device

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:34 pm

It is a urinal.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Erik_Kowal : Thank you very much.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:43 pm

It would be highly odd to find one of these in a British bathroom. A bathroom here is a room which actually contains a bath. You would get a urinal in a "public toilet" or colloquially, "The Gents".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:49 am

You say "UrInal, I say Urinal. Yes, you would only find them in a public toilet/restroom/bathroom, around here. At least I've never encountered one in a private residence.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Bobinwales, trolley: Thanks a lot for your input.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Bobinwales wrote:It would be highly odd to find one of these in a British bathroom. A bathroom here is a room which actually contains a bath. You would get a urinal in a "public toilet" or colloquially, "The Gents".
Yeah - that's an American oddity that I'm resigned to, calling a public toilet or restroom a bathroom. I have encountered people washing up more than face or hands in a public restroom, but they weren't actually taking a bath.

And Bobinwales, do ladies go to "The Lads"? ;)
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Ladies go to the, um Ladies and gentlemen to the Gents.
We get THIS sort of thing to help!

A friend of mine does have one of THESE in his home bathroom. His wife thinks it is a marvellous idea (the seat is NEVER left up!), but the plumber said that he had never installed one in a private house before.

Having said that, even my friend balked at the idea of one of those full length things shown in Steven's picture.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 am

Of course in Aus we have the pissaphone. A very versatile unit for gentleman who need to go.

WoZ who pisses like a fountain
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Urinals are also subject to remarkable variety of designs. This one is designed to improved aim which is a problem for some people. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Wf6ZuanqZB8/S ... Urinal.jpg
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.