dog whistler issue

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Re: dog whistler issue

Post by tony h » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Erik_Kowal thank you. Your research has given me hope that cat whistle politics and wolf whistle politics are not terms that are sufficiently established to cause a problem to popularising them with my definitions. ~~~ imagining being interviewed by Suzie Dent on Radio 4 about the lightbulb moment which give rise to these important terms.

I am enjoying the rest of your post.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: dog whistler issue

Post by tony h » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Ken Greenwald wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 pm
Thanks Erik. But there's one thing that is still bothering me. In the Dictionary.com definition they say:
"a political strategy, statement, slogan, etc. that conveys a controversial, secondary message understood only by those who support the message.”
They say "only understood by those who support the message." The point in my posting is that the black community, which certainly doesn't support the message would clearly understand the secondary message with its, "monkey this up," as a racist slur by Ron DeSantis’ in reference to competitor Andrew Gillum, a black man, and thus their obvious outrage.

Ken Greenwald - January 23, 2019
You place my puzzlement eloquently and cogently. Thank you.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC