A mannequin?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A mannequin?

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello there! Could you guys please tell me what this is called in English?

https://www.google.com/search?q=m%C3%B3 ... eXzqP4M%3A

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A mannequin?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm not entirely sure if the particular object you've highlighted in your search is intended to display a garment for sale (usually in a store display), or to support it while it is being constructed. I suspect it is the former, in which case it would usually simply be called a mannequin.

A more-or-less similar-looking object that is used to support a garment in the process of being constructed can go by quite a variety of names: dress form, dressmaker's dummy, dressmaking dummy, dressmaking mannequin, sewing dummy, sewing mannequin, tailor's dummy, tailor's form, tailoring dummy, and tailoring form. (There may also be other combinations and terms.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 am

Erik_Kowal! The terms you provided are what I'm looking for. They are very helpful. Thank you very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:05 pm

A less cumbersome (and more P.C. -- hi, WoZ! I'm baaack!) version is "dressmaker's form".
I was on a tour of the costume shop at Stratford, Ontario, Canada a couple of years ago, and they called the dressmaker's form a "Jenny". Don't remember the name for the male version: maybe Gerald. Probably not Joey.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:03 pm

Shelley! You have been missed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:36 pm

M'Lady Shelley mine heart doth beat in tremulous anticipation of the wisdom that shalt flow from thy agile mind. Tho hast been missed.

WoZ putting on the toff
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC