A baby carrier?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A baby carrier?

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:47 am

Hi you guys! Is "a baby carrier" the most common term for the following product?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%C4%91% ... EY0vP0M%3A

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A baby carrier?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 am

I would call that a baby carrier or a baby sling.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 pm

I'd use "baby carrier" to refer to those plastic ones with the carrying handle (sort of like a portable cradle). Those wearable ones are often called "snugglys", around here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 am

Erik_Kowal and trolley. Thank you two very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:18 pm

Steve very late this time. The difference for me between baby sling and baby carrier is in how it is made. Asling is most often made using a length of material that is tied and wound in a particular way to carry the baby. This is derived from native methods that have been used for eons to carry babies often while the mother is working. The baby carrier is a commercially manufactured item that has adjustable straps and belts and buckles and is made from a manufactured webbing material. You get it out and put it on. It is modelled on a hikers haversack.

WoZ who prefers to cuddle babies
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 pm

I would like to see a scholarly study contrasting the psycho-social development of people who, as babies, were carried in these things turned either inward, facing their "grown-up", or outward, facing the oncoming world. Outward-facing always looks a little strange to me, like the baby is a hood ornament, or something.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:13 pm

It isn't seen so often now, but I was certainly carried "Welsh Fashion".

And, it wasn't only the women that did it!.

If the bloke on the left hand side of the picture went near the baby like that his wife would murder him!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC