longest serving... from

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

longest serving... from

Post by navi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 am

Which are correct:

1-He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country from 1852 to 1872.

2-He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country, from 1852 to 1872.

3-He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country- from 1852 to 1872.

4-He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country( from 1852 to 1872).

The intended meaning is:

He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country, serving from 1852 to 1872.

Gratefully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: longest serving... from

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:13 pm

I only like (4) myself.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:21 pm

For the sake of clarity, I'd go with the sentence you wrote in the intended meaning:
He was the longest serving British ambassador to their country, serving from 1852 to 1872.
The other four allow the possibility that he was the longest serving ambassador during that 18 year stretch...at least, to me.
Edit... 1,2, and 3 could be open to interpretation...#4 is clear enough.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Yes, reformulate it as trolley suggests.

Although the comma in #2 should make it clear, you cannot rely on it. Punctuation is never an accurate science. Even #4 could be interpreted incorrectly in certain contexts.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by JerrySmile » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 am

This is how it should be done, IMO:

He was U.S. ambassador to Japan from 1977 to 1988, the longest serving ambassador to that country ever.

He was U.S. ambassador to Japan from 1977 to 1988, the longest serving ambassador to that country during his tour of service.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC