an older woman

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

an older woman

Post by navi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 am

1-He is dating an older woman at the office.
2-He is dating one of the older women at the office.

3-They laid off an older woman at the office.
4-They laid off one of the older women at the office.

I think '2', '3' and '4' are telling us that if we divide the women of the office into two groups according to age, the woman in question would be in the older group.

'1' on the other hand seems to me to mean that the woman is older than HIM.

Is that correct?

Gratefully,
Navi.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: an older woman

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:20 am

Yes.

With regard to 1), the term 'older woman' is applied quite subjectively: a 20-year-old man (or his friends) might class any woman aged 30 or over as 'older', whereas a man of 40 might regard an older woman as being someone aged 55 or above.

If the sexes were reversed in 1), I'd be inclined to suggest there would usually be a larger age gap between a woman and someone classified as an 'older man', because of the cultural tendency (in many western countries, at least) for men to marry women who are somewhat younger than themselves.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JerrySmile » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 am

Just about 1 and 2, I think they both may mean they meet, or even "do it," at the office.

For the intended meaning, indicating where the woman works, "from" should be used, if lack of ambiguity is desired:

The Primary Care Physician's Guide to Common Psychiatric
Phillip R. Slavney, ‎Orest Hurko - 2001
The "final straw" came after he had begun dating a woman from his office.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:40 am

.. Jerry I'm with you on that one .. from clearly carries the idea that they are going out together outside of the office .. at on the other hand means just that >> they are AT the office .. is it just an American thing?? ..

WoZ who used to know where it's at
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by JerrySmile » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. Jerry I'm with you on that one .. from clearly carries the idea that they are going out together outside of the office .. at on the other hand means just that >> they are AT the office .. is it just an American thing?? ..

WoZ who used to know where it's at
Glad to hear that :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC