phonesthesia [phonaesthesia ]

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

phonesthesia [phonaesthesia ]

Post by PhilHunt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 pm

I've been reading about this subject recently, which also sometimes goes under the term of 'sound symbols' (and occasionally phonestesia). I've found it interesting, especially when I consider old posts on the subjects of cognitive science, and the debate on objectivism versus subjectivism in word meaning and understanding.

I tried to do a search for this topic on the site but came up empty handed. Before I rehash old posts, I thought I would give the board guardians some time to point me in the direction of any old messages on this subject so as to avoid repetition.

Thanks
Last edited by PhilHunt on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: phonesthetia

Post by zmjezhd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:09 pm

It's also spelled phonaesthesia and called sound symbolism. (I did not find anything relevant searching those on the site.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: phonesthetia

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 pm

At this point, a note on the terminology is in order.

Wikipedia has an article whose title is 'Sound symbolism'; it begins, 'In linguistics, sound symbolism or phonosemantics is the idea that vocal sounds or phonemes carry meaning in and of themselves'. This concept also goes by the alternative name of phon(a)esthesia.

Phon(a)esthetics, on the other hand, is described as 'the study of the inherent pleasantness (euphony) or unpleasantness (cacophony) of the sound of certain words, phrases, and sentences'.

Note the precise spellings -- I Googled phonaesthetia and phonesthetia, but obtained zero hits.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Re: phonesthesia [ phonesthesia / phonaesthesia ]

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Excuse my spelling guys, I made a mistake in the title, putting a 't' where I meant top put an 's'. I heard it mentioned in an interview and when I did some internet searching I found the spellings I mentioned before; one in an article on Mapping and the other on a website in connection with Daniel Tennant; also in academic texts here http://www.flong.com/texts/lists/list_s ... liography/, though I can see myself that the spellings seem to vary throughout the titles and articles mentioned.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: phonesthesia [phonaesthesia ]

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

You've ruined our mental images.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 pm

PhilHunt wrote:I've found it interesting, especially when I consider old posts on the subjects of cognitive science
I thought only Google read our old posts.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 am

.. so PhilH, given Erik's definitions which one is it that you wish to discuss ??

WoZ considering the phonaesthetics of a crying baby
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC