Hoard

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Hoard

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:25 pm

"Have you ever gone to the annual Red Wings game on New Year's Eve? Granted, there would be hoards of people, but many are families, and those that aren't, shouldn't be too drunk,...... yet."

- I found these sentences at http://www.city-data.com/forum/michigan ... ideas.html . I checked the meaning of "hoard" online but didn't find any good results. Does "hoards of people" in this context mean "a bunch of people" or "lots of people"?

Thanks a lot,

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Hoard

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 pm

It's a misspelling of the intended word horde/s, Steven. You'll find that the correct homophone makes sense.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Ahh. . . HORDES of people. I thought we were going to talk about hoarding people -- that is, people who hoard -- one of my favorite topics!
Post actions:

Post by hsargent » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Hoard is defined as my wife! Plastic bags, plastic jugs with lids, coat hangers, clothes which our four children ever wore (they are 38-46), and anything that we have ever owned. But it is not a issue for me!
It is good to know the correct spelling of hordes.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by trolley » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 am

I have the same packrattitude. There's a box full of electical cords and plugs in my garage that represents every appliance I've ever owned and disposed of. "I should cut that cord off and save it. You never know when you might need one"...or two...or six...
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am

trolley said:

I have the same packrattitude.
.. in Aus we would call you a bowerbird ..
The Penguin Book of Australian Slang
bowerbird person who collects an astonishing array of sometimes useless objects.

<Nov 5, 1963> "I'm a real bowerbird with cameras. I'm a camera fanatic and hoarder.
The Age

<Jul 18, 1967> Wizened, slow-moving Mr Leslie Starr, 74, has picked up enough junk in the past ten years to cram his two-storey terrace house from top to bottom. Mr Fegan told the committee, "While Mr Starr is an ailing, elderly man, and deserving of sympathy, he can also be described as an incorrigible bowerbird."
Sydney Morning Herald

<Nov 26, 1986> 'Bower Bird' Thief Jailed .‎
A man described as a human bower bird was sentenced to 4 years' jail yesterday for stealing goods and money worth more than $600,000.
Sydney Morning Herald

<Aug 7, 2009> ARTIST Paul Yore is a self-confessed bowerbird. His mother tells him that as a child he was more interested in collecting and playing with sticks, stones, feathers and leaves than conventional toys.
The Age

<Sep 30, 2012> Sibella Court, bestselling author of Etcetera, The Stylist’s Guide to NYC and Nomad, has always been a bowerbird. This was first noticed when, at the age of three, she put together collections of shells, sequins, beads and ribbons.
The Society Inc website

<Jan 10, 2013> "She was a bowerbird," Tim said. "She kept everything." In her room she kept a box filled with letters and notes, promises to herself.
Courier Mail
.. same idea different animal ..

WoZ the bowerbird
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by hsargent » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm

I've seen the male Bowerbird nests and they have a flare for beauty.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 pm

A flare for beauty will lead to sparks.
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 am

hsargent wrote:Hoard is defined as my wife!
hsargent, I don't think you should define your wife as a hoard. I'm sure she doesn't enjoy it any more than you do, but after all, in today's economy, every little bit helps. ;^)

(h -- I really hope you don't take offense at this. I just couldn't resist!)
Last edited by Shelley on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:

Post by hsargent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 am

You just couldn't hoard yourself back!
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:50 pm

You're right, hsargent, I just hoard to say it!
Post actions:

Post by suitlover » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

This is so hard!
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:30 am

.. Mr Chenddu .. go back to the second post, Ed's answer to Steve and it is so simple .. all these other posts are just WWs having fun punning .. or something .. they really have nothing to do with Steve's original question ..

WoZ seeing hordes or hoarders on TV
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.