self-awarenessly

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

self-awarenessly

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 04, 2011 4:20 pm

- James's neighbor's dog is very gentle but sometimes it gets so fierce. Whenever it relieves itself, its owner cleans it up self-awarenessly.

- Do these sentences sound natural at all?

Thanks a million!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: self-awarenessly

Post by trolley » Wed May 04, 2011 4:55 pm

No, not at all Steve. It's not one of your better attempts.
James's neighbor's dog is usually very gentle but sometimes it does get aggressive/act aggressively. I expected some sort of connection between the two sentences. Halfway through the second one, I'm imagining the dog showing aggression... as he craps on your lawn. I think you may have invented the term "self-awarenessly" so I'm not really sure what you are trying to convey, there. Do you mean he is a responsible or considerate owner because he cleans up after his dog?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed May 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Perhaps you were aiming for self-consciously, Steven, which does exist but doesn't really work when the dog is obviously to blame.

Whenever it relieves itself, its owner cleans up after it in embarrassment.

And Trolley's tight about the different thrusts of the two sentences needing to be separated by a contrasting / developing structure:

...It is also not very well trained in the toilet department. Whenever...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 am

Dear Trolley and other memebers!

- What I mean by "self-awarenessly" in this context is "Its owner cleans the messes up without reminders from other people because the owner thinks it's the right thing to do. So what's your more natural version? :)

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 am

"... responsibly / conscientiously cleans it up".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by JerrySmile » Sun May 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Or:

Whenever it relieves itself, its owner cleans up after it without being told.
Whenever it relieves itself, its owner cleans up after it on the spot.

However, responsibly is best for your original intent.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC