Weaknesses of a car

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Weaknesses of a car

Post by Stevenloan » Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 pm

- I want to buy a used car from an American guy, I want to point out some weaknesses of the car so that I can get a good bargain :) but I don't know much about English for cars, so do these sentences sound good at all? :)

1. There are no airbags inside.
2. The gearbox is normal not automatic.
3. There is no GPS system.
4. The seats' leather is not good quality and have some small holes and tears.
5. The stereo is way too old.
6. The paint is way too dull.
7. The antenna on the car is curved not very straight.

Thanks a million!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Weaknesses of a car

Post by marie26 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

They all sound fine to me. 4. I might not say "The seats' leather" I would say, "The leather on the seats is of low quality, with tears and holes."
I love the curved antenna bit! A question: Does the stereo have 8 track or casette?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

re: #2
In North America we probably wouldn't refer to the gearbox, in this case. It is the "transmission" that is automatic or standard/manual. Wiki tells me that , in Britain, the transmission refers to the entire drive-train (drive-shaft, diff, axle) so I guess it depends on who you're talking to. More than likely we wouldn't even mention the specific part and the car would be an automatic or a standard.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm

1. There are no airbags inside. {There are no airbags} / {The car lacks airbags}.
2. The gearbox is normal not automatic. See Trolley's comments.
3. There is no GPS system. There is no GPS.
4. The seats' leather is not good quality and have some small holes and tears. See Marie's suggestion.
5. The stereo is way too old. The stereo is ancient.
6. The paint is way too dull. The paintwork has oxidized / faded.
7. The antenna on the car is curved not very straight. The antenna is bent.

Or you could simply sum it up thus: "Your car is old, dude!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 pm

2. It's got a manual box.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:01 am

.. Steve I do not pretend to be any kind of cargeek but of all the things you mention it is only the airbags that I feel have any real relevance to being regarded as "weaknesses" .. all the other bits and pieces are simply bells and whistles .. if it was a 2nd hand car I would be more interested in in saying things like,

>> Does it have any oil leaks?
>> The tyres/tires don't have much tread.
>> What is the fuel consumption like?
>> Has the car been regularly serviced?
>> Are the lights and blinkers/indicators all working?
>> When were the brakes last serviced?
>> Does the radiator leak?

.. to me these are not "technical" questions but the kinds of things that any car owner should have a grip on ..

WoZ in the driver's seat
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC