make up with each other

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

make up with each other

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:16 pm

- His parents argued fiercely last night and they haven't made up with each other yet / and they haven't made peace with each other yet / and they haven't reconciled with each other yet.

- Does this sentence sound natural enough?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: make up with each other

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:04 am

.. hi Steve .. for me they are 3 slightly different sentences .. in my order of preference ..

His parents argued fiercely last night

>> and they haven't made up with each other yet. --- ( not needed as naturally it is with each other)

>> and they haven't made peace with each other yet.

>> and they haven't reconciled with each other yet. -- (I would never use the word reconciled in this situation as it seems either too legalistic or as if the person is an accountant and is balancing the books.)

WoZ who believes in flowers
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:50 am

I'm not sure, but I think the reconciled variant is also ungrammatical, WiZ. To is the preferred preposition, so one may have to resort to ...they're not yet reconciled(,) the one to the other.

I think you're right in saying that the reconciled + DO as opposed to the reconciled + DO1 + to + 'DO'2 usage is (at least largely) confined to non-personal-relationship situations:

??He reconciled John.
He reconciled John to the fact that he wasn't going to marry Kate. (reconciliation to a fact in the first instance!)
He reconciled the books.

He reconciled John to Barry.

The intransitive usage also sounds awkward for personal relationships.

Your first two suggestions are of course fine; alternatives are ...and they're still angry with each other / not speaking / at loggerheads
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 am

After a lengthy estrangement that lasted throughout the 1990s, in 2001 they were finally reconciled.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 pm

His parents had a blazing row last night and they haven't kissed and made up yet.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC