Dish-washing liquid

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Re: Dish-washing liquid

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am

Indeed, it's almost no more than a pigment of the insinuation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by marie26 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 pm

In my region of the US, Dishwashing liquid would be understood for handwashing dishes (Palmolive, Joy and Ajax are common brands) whereas the term Dishwasher liquid, would rarely be used. It it were used, it would conjure the gelatinous goo in plastic bottles (Cascade is a popular brand.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 am

Didn't Aladdin conjure the Gelatinous Goo?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 am

.. Edwin quit while you are ahead .. this >> Yes, there's a very subtle difference between being a dyer and dying too., is without doubt the funniest thing you have ever conjured ..

WoZer not WoZing
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by erikasha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 am

[quote="Edwin F Ashworth"]Yes, there's a very subtle difference between being a dyer and dying too.[/quote]

yeah its a very much sensible answer you are right dud.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by erikasha » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am

I never would have thought anyone not knowing. It's quite easy and probably a little bit racist. When we lived in Africa the maids were from the shona tribe. You hadn't had a washing machine, no your girl was doing all your laundry by hand and she was the "shonamatic". A few years back Whites used this term to disgrace there maids, but soon these great people looked at it the other way and were very proud to be as good or even better than your washing machine back home. Today it's a word you use.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 am

.. hi erik 2 .. no mate not racist .. you are merely alerting a group of wordy nerds to an unusual slang usage and one that I find very amusing .. it is also another example of where a word that began life as an insult was, over time, taken by the insulted group and turned into a badge of honour or inclusion .. to complete the cycle it is now up to some company to name it's new model the Shonamatic Deluxe Washer ..

WoZ who has the Rhondamatic (especially for backs)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by allen-uk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 am

Ah yes, the old problem of American terms for activities associated with personal hygiene.

I recall the surprise of an Englishman on hearing his American host cry "Oh no, the dog's been to the bathroom in the kitchen."

For a people famed for calling spades spades, the whole restroom/bathroom/'poop' business has always puzzled me. Perhaps it has its roots with the Puritans.

A.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC