Dish-washing liquid

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Dish-washing liquid

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 pm

- I have a girlfriend whose parents have a small factory which produces chemical to create dish-washing liquid.

- Does this sentence sound good enough?

Thanks a million!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Dish-washing liquid

Post by trolley » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm

I don't think it's wrong but I wouldn't use "have" twice.
"I have a girlfriend whose parents have a ....." sounds kind of clunky to me.
"My girlfriends parents have...." or " I have a girlfriend whose parents own/run..."
I always struggle with the "that/which" thing. I usually go with what sounds better to me (in this case "that"), only to find that's wrong.
The factory produces chemicals (plural) or a chemical (singular)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes, I have a girlfriend... would probably invite a thick ear. I have a wife... certainly would.

My girlfriend's parents run a small factory that produces chemicals used primarily in the manufacture of washing-up liquid.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by marie26 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:54 am

Yes, I have a girlfriend... would probably invite a thick ear
What does it mean to 'invite a thick ear?'
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 am

Think of a cauliflower-ear, and the many ways you can ask for one. Rugby, boxing, wrestling, speaking when you should be listening, referring to your wife as "the old Lady", answering questions like "does this make me look fat?", etc.....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes, a thick ear is the collocation, Marie, not invite a thick ear.
I forget that collocations are easy, provided they're ones you're familiar with. We get a lot of the newer American ones over here via the media - a mixed blessing!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:30 am

marie said:

What does it mean to 'invite a thick ear?'
.. means to say or do something that in all probability will result in the offended party punching/hitting/belting/smacking you in the ear very hard .. hard enough to cause your ear to ring or bruise .. Oxford Dictionary of Slang gives thick ear as being British in origin from 1909 ..

WoZ who hast given and received
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 am

Confusingly, turn a blind eye is an isomorphic expression where the verb is part of the collocation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:41 am

As it also is in turn a deaf ear [to]. However, I have yet to encounter turn a deaf thick ear, or even merely turn a thick ear.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I've found one Ghit for turn a deft sentence.
I daren't check for turn a daft sentence.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Dish-washing liquid is washing up liquid where I come from.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 am

Here in the US, washing-up liquid is often known as 'dish soap' (or 'dish liquid'), even though chemically it is a detergent, not a soap.

'Dishwashing liquid' (or 'dishwashing/dishwasher detergent') is what you would put in a dishwashing machine rather than a washing-up bowl (or 'dishpan', as the latter is normally called here).

Also, 'to wash up' here generally means 'to wash one's hands' (and often one's face), such as prior to eating -- what someone from the UK might refer to as 'freshening up'. One would typically perform this act over a bathroom sink, washbowl or washbasin, rather than over what the British would call a handbasin or wash-hand basin.

It took me a long time after moving to the USA from the UK to get to grips with all these subtle differences in nomenclature, and I still sometimes get them wrong if I'm not paying attention.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun May 01, 2011 8:45 pm

At least you can have your bath and take it. But don't eat your soap cake.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

.. in Aus a very subtle difference hinging on _ er or _ing .. dishwashing liquid is used to handwash dishes in the kitchen sink .. dishwasher liquid is put into a dishwasher (machine) to wash the dishes ..

WoZ who prefers paper plates
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon May 02, 2011 9:52 am

Yes, there's a very subtle difference between being a dyer and dying too.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS