Cheating out of money and love

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Cheating out of money and love

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

- I have a colleague who has a very innocent face but is extremely good at cheating gullible and newly grown-up girls out of love and money.

- Does this sound natural at all?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Cheating out of money and love

Post by dante » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello Steven,

Apart from your debatable contrastive proposition about "people with innocent faces" not being likely "to be extremely good at cheating", the part that confuses me is about cheating someone out of their love Steven. How do you do that?
I wouldn't either coordinate "gullible" and "newly grown-up" as epithets to "girls". Sounds extremely strange to put those two together. In fact, the part "newly grown-up" is altogether unacceptable to my non-native ears, as an epithet to "girls" (mind you Steven, you will still need to check that with Jerry and his very educated folks panel). I mean, I could agree that girls can be think of as the most beautiful flower of all, but it's still difficult to imagine you grow them like gladioli for example:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 am

"I have a colleague who looks innocent but is skilled at taking both financial and romantic advantage of naive young women".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:41 am

.. Steve try >>>

My mate is a gigolo.

.. now this is slightly different to what you have asked but still has the elements of a bloke using his looks to get supported by a woman .. look the word up in several dictionaries to get the general feeling ..

WoZ the wannabe gigolo
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by JerrySmile » Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Cheating someone out of their love is possible:

--
Fascination
Leona Blair - 1998 - 527 pages - Snippet view

"She was what women are expected to be. She was sweet and pretty, modest and delicate. She should never have had children." He took a deep breath. "In addition to cheating her out of the real love she richly deserved, I killed her.
--

--
The Strawberry Letter: Real Talk, Real Advice, Because Bitterness ... - Page 98
Shirley Strawberry - 2011 - 192 pages - Preview

I was so caught up in keeping him, I didn't realize that not only was he cheating me out of time and love, he was cheating our four kids as well.
--
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC