stitches = sutures?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

stitches = sutures?

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:54 pm

- Last night a roughneck used a long knife and cut me on my left leg so I had to go to the hospital to have 3 stitches / to get 3 sutures.

- Does this one sound natural to your native ears? :)

Thanks a million!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: stitches = sutures?

Post by trolley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:48 pm

The part about the stitches/sutures sounds just fine. I'm not so sure about the "roughneck" part. A roughneck usually refers to someone who works on the oil-rigs (at least today, it does). It used to mean any sort of unskilled labourer (we call them "grunts" around here). Perhaps you mean "ruffian"? Even that is something I don't hear much anymore. I'd go with thug or hooligan.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: stitches = sutures?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:39 am

"Last night a {thug / ruffian} {stabbed / cut / slashed} my left leg with a dagger, {so I {needed / had} to have three stitches put in at the hospital [Describes the consequences from a technical perspective]} / {and the wound took three stitches [Puts dramatic emphasis on the wound]}".

'Sutures' is not wrong, but it is a medical rather than a layman's term.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC