Mistakes

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Mistakes

Post by Quoc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 am

There are 7 mistakes in the 3 following paragraphs.

As you know, we have been asked to go and present our proposals for the Russian contract, and the buyers have scheduled the presentation to next Wednesday afternoon. We have a lot to prepare before then.

Already we have sent a written proposal, so we wouldn't have to repeat the same information. What we must do is to emphasise our key strengths and show how we are different from and better than our competitors.

We hold a meeting to plan the presentation tomorrow at 10 a.m. and I would like that you come with some good ideas. There is strong competition for this contract and if we won't make the right impression next Wednesday, we could lose it. Be there on 10 o'clock sharp, please.

And I've changed as follows:

As you know, we have been asked to go and present our proposals for the Russian contract, and the buyers have scheduled the presentation for next Wednesday afternoon. We have a lot to prepare before then.

We have already sent a written proposal, so we don't have to repeat the same information. What we must do is to emphasise our key strengths and show how we are different from and better than our competitors.

We'll hold a meeting to plan the presentation tomorrow at 10 a.m. and I would like that you come up with some good ideas. There is strong competition for this contract and if we don't make the right impression next Wednesday, we could lose it. Be there at 10 o'clock sharp, please.

Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Quoc
Last edited by Quoc on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Mistakes

Post by russcable » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 am

The first mistake is that you have written three paragraphs and referred to them as "the following paragraph." ;)

"Already we have sent" seems more "really awkward" than "mistake" but "We have already sent" is much better.

... I would like that for you to come up with some good ideas. ...

Also, I think this is formal enough that I would prefer "We will" instead of "will" and " Please be there..." would sound more natural than "Be there ..., please."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 am

The only comment I have to add to Russ's contribution is that someone from the UK would be more likely to write "I would like you to come up with some good ideas" than "I would like for you to come up with some good ideas".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:06 am

Quoc's getting to sound frighteningly proficient.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Quoc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 am

The first mistake is that you have written three paragraphs and referred to them as "the following paragraph." ;)

I've changed it.

;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC