Noble and luxurious

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Noble and luxurious

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:26 pm

- This set of clothes look very luxurious and noble on you. (What I mean by "this set of clothes" is a pair of pants, khakhis or jeans and a shirt or a T-shirt)

- Is this compliment natural enough? :)

Thanks a lot!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Noble and luxurious

Post by zmjezhd » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:46 pm

While some might understand what you mean by "set of clothes", it's a strange sounding collocation. how about "outfit"? Or you want to be more highfalutin', "ensemble".

Your outfit is rather stunning.

The whole "luxurious and noble" remark could seem a bit sarcastic.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Suits you, sir.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 am

Is this for a man or a woman? I think a man would prefer something simpler:
Those clothes look nice (on you).
You look nice (in those clothes).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:27 am

Some clothes might have a luxurious appearance, but you cannot say this about a person who is wearing them.

A person might be (or look) noble, but not their clothes. Nobility can be either an inherited condition in a society that still has a traditional aristocracy; for those who enjoy high-flown but meaningless platitudes, the concept can be extended to include a person's character (e.g. 'nobility of spirit', 'nobility of soul').
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:06 am

Dear Teachers!

- What sentences do you use for women or girls? :)

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 am

>> My dear what an absolutely stunning outfit.
>> Trinny and Suzanna would be proud of how you look and Gok would eat his heart out.
>> No your bum does not look too big in that dress.
>> Even a hesian bag would look good on you!

.. now I'm not sure just what response you would get Steve but I can guarantee you that something will be said ..

WoZ in a bag of fruit
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC