The food is cold

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

The food is cold

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:04 pm

A: Does your girlfriend have a habit that she reheats the food after it is cold?
B: She just eats it.
A: Wow! That can give her a stomachache.
B: I've advised her a thousand times, but she never listens to me.

- Do these sound natural enough?

Thanks a million!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: The food is cold

Post by christinecornwall » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:06 am

It sounds pretty natural to me. I would substitute warned for advised.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 pm

.. Steve, I agree with christine's idea and I also have a problem with the initial sentence ..

A: Does your girlfriend have a habit that she reheats the food after it is cold?

.. I would rewrite it as >>

A: Is your girlfriend in the habit of reheating food after it is cold?

WoZ who hates reheated salad
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Steven's conversation reminds me of a comment that was allegedly made about the ex-Prime Minister of Britain, Gordon Brown: "When a control freak loses control, all you're left with is the freak".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC