up to task vs. up to it

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

up to task vs. up to it

Post by majidkh » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 am

Hello

Could someone tell me if up to task and up to it could mean handle sth successfully and if they can be interchangeably used and also are common?

1- Is he Up to Task Of Being President?
2- It was an important event, and she's managed to be up to task of it brilliantly.
3- I was flattered to be offered the job but wasn't sure if I could be up to it.

Thanks a lot
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: up to task vs. up to it

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

#1 reads like a newspaper headline. Expanded and/or reworded, it might read "Is he up to {the task of being President / the presidency}?"

#2: "It was an important event, and she was more than up to the task [of managing it]."

#3: "I was flattered to be offered the job but wasn't sure if I would be up to it."

"Up to it" and "up to the task" are both in fairly common use. They mean more or less the same thing. However, if you are in doubt, due to its relative vagueness "up to it" is probably more useful in a wide variety of situations.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by christinecornwall » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:15 am

To me, 'up to it' bears more of a connotation of having the physical and mental energy to complete the task successfully, whereas up to task connotes a sense of preparedness. IMHO
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm

'past it', however, doesn't mean 'ahead of the game' - which in turn is not the opposite of 'running with the hare and hunting with the hounds' - but which can neither mean the same as 'beating about the bush' - but which could be regarded as 'being offside' - which is hard to define when batsmen keep pirouetting.
I hope that clarifies it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:08 am

Yes, you have clarified it to death.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dante » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Edwin:
I hope that clarifies it.
It doesn't Edwin,au contraire :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC