More Internet Impact

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

More Internet Impact

Post by hsargent » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

I heard on the radio today that Tweeter was used to organize a physical meeting of people.

Before the internet, seems all meetings would have been physical!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Re: More Internet Impact

Post by russcable » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm

You tweet on Twitter.
You can meet non-physically via radio or telephone. Videoconferencing was invented in the 1930's.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

You are correct. But I, personally, had never heard the reference to a of a physical meeting until now. A meeting implied direct contact. I have flown half-way around the world for a 2 hour meeting person to person.

I did participate in video conferences at work. Our decision to plan such a meeting had video conference as the novel meeting method.

In my example, the novel meeting was the physical one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 am

Harry said:

You are correct. But I, personally, had never heard the reference to a of a physical meeting until now. A meeting implied direct contact.
.. Harry I do not have the resources to purchase the full archived copies of newspapers but a quick google newspaper search found a number of references to a physical meeting .. here are the few that I could access ..
“… case of war between the United States, what form will the contest take? Will there be an actual physical meeting of the armed ..."
Los Angeles Times, 05/02/1917
{Note: I am not entirely sure that this does not refer to "physical meeting" as in a physical fight.}

“By this notion, you have made possible the physical meeting. For contact being an essential to the intellectual meeting of minds, such pooling or knowledge …..”
Hartford Courant, 15/04/1932

“.... bargaining means more than the, mere physical meeting of representatives of unions and industry. ...NY Times, 07/04/1938

Although he sees Mr. Curtin frequently and other Australian leaders less frequently, the MacArthur-Curtin team-work doesn't depend on physical meeting, for the offices of these two leaders are connected by a direct telephone line
Pittsburgh Press, 28/02/1943

“…. of a "summit" meeting, in the belief that much good may come from the physical meeting of the leading Foreign Ministers
Glasgow Herald, 12/08/1958
.. the references continued on to the present and always seemed to make the qualitative difference between some kind of telecommunication meeting or by written word and an actual face-to-face meeting ..

WoZ who prefers physical meetings
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by hsargent » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

WOZ,

Those historical references are enlightening considering the alternatives which they must have been considering.... mail delivered by ships (1917), telegraph, phones, pigeons.

I would still contend that the primary current reference to physical meeting would be contrasting with internet methods. I'm sure there are exceptions.

During recessions, businesses do use conference calls more than during good times.

We did use phone calls with "Netmeeting" (that was 10 years ago) sharing of documents but this is internet related.

Telegraphs and paper mail are or have disappeared from alternatives to physical meetings.

I don't know of any others that are not internet based. Maybe you can name some.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by zmjezhd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 pm

I found this charming letter from Woodrow Wilson to John J Carty, president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers:
May I not extend my warm congratulations to you and to the members of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers upon the unique and singularly interesting meeting in which it has gathered its members in Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York? To conduct such a meeting by telephone and make it possible for men scattered all over the country to listen to the proceedings and participate in them is certainly a most interesting evidence of the inventive genius and engineering ability represented by the Institute. It is with genuine satisfaction that I avail myself of this occasion to express my own deep appreciation of the work of the Institute in the development of the country's resources. (In Electrical World, volume 67, part 2, 20 May 1916, page 1187)
[Addendum: Another earlier quotation:
The modern bourse or exchange is the highest type of the market; it has in fact taken over the function of the earlier market in many directions, and for this reason the law of markets as discussed under International Civil Law (§ 122, supra) is also applicable to business transacted at exchanges conducted for the sale of goods or securities. We must here indeed go one step farther in order to state that business done by correspondence (letter, telegram, or telephone) with foreigners and executed on a local exchange, or by natives at a foreign exchange, is also subject to the law of the exchange. Instead of the physical meeting of the parties customary at the old markets, we have the simplification of intercourse and communication as developed in modern times. With this change of the situation, the law has kept pace. It is only by applying the law prevailing at the exchange to every one who takes part in its business, be he native or alien, that complete justice can be done; physical presence is not a legal requirement. Exchange business has attained enormous proportions, and is conducted at a distance as easily as at close range. Furthermore, the rapidity with which these transactions are closed does not permit of inquiry as to the law of the alien. The rule has thus developed that the law prevailing at an exchange applies to all business transacted there. (In International civil and commercial law as founded upon theory, legislation, and Practice by F Meili, 1905, page 462.)
]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:48 pm

.. Harry the only current non-internet meeting that I can quickly bring to mind is when an intermediary is used as in when diplomats or ministers meet for discussions prior to a physical meeting between the Prime Ministers or Presidents .. or in legal proceedings .. but then I suppose that these are physical meetings before physical meetings ..

.. and teleconferences are not dead .. I regularly use them for meetings .. maybe it is just us old technology Aussies .. *grin* .. oh and I still write reports and letters too ..

WoZ getting physical
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by hsargent » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 am

We are now using "Skype" to meet. This is similar to "Goggling". A brand or trademark are used to specify an action.

We have had other non-internet items, Xerox a page, Frigidaire to keep our food cold, Kleenex to blow our nose, .... So I guess Internet can have similar occurrences.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC