I do admire my close friend

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I do admire my close friend

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 am

- I do admire my close friend about many things. Although there are lots of unemployed people these days, he still do not accept to have a job with low pay and not compatible with his ability.

- Do these sound very good? :)

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I do admire my close friend

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:22 am

.. Steve in a word .. NO!! .. let's break it down >>

I do admire my close friend about many things. I would write >> I admire my close friend for many reasons.

Although there are lots of unemployed people these days, he still do not accept to have a job with low pay and not compatible with his ability. Mate this one really has me guessing but what I think you are trying to say is that your friend will not accept a job for which he thinks he is overqualified and which pays low wages. Am I correct? .. if so then I would write something like >> Even though he is unemployed he continues to look for a job to match his qualifications. He is not willing to accept a low paid job.

.. how does that sound ??

WoZ who works permanent part-time
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: I do admire my close friend

Post by russcable » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:Steve, in a word: NO!! Let's break it down:

I do admire my close friend about many things. I would write >> I admire my close friend for many reasons.

Although there are lots of unemployed people these days, he still do not accept to have a job with low pay and not compatible with his ability. Mate, this one really has me guessing, but what I think you are trying to say is that your friend will not accept a job for which he thinks he is overqualified and which pays low wages. Am I correct? If so, then I would write something like: Even though he is unemployed he continues to look for a job to match his qualifications. He is not willing to accept a low paid job.

How does that sound?

WoZ who works permanent part-time
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC