I like all of them

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I like all of them

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

- My sisters always pays attention to my health, studies and relations. She can cook a lot of terrific dishes, and I like all of them so bad.

- Do these sound good enough? :)

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I like all of them

Post by russcable » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:16 pm

My sisters always pays attention to cares about my health, studies and relationships -or- love life. She can cook a lot of terrific dishes, and I like all of them so badmuch -or- very much.

Your relations are your relatives (or there's an outside possibility is that she watches you have sexual intercourse).

Idiomatically, you can want things badly, but you can't like things badly.

You could also say:
She can cook many terrific dishes. I like all of them very much. I like them all so much. They're all so delicious.

If you think they're terrific, I would assume that you like them, but it doesn't hurt to say it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I like all of them

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Let's look at the various elements of what you wrote:

"My sisters always pays attention to my health, studies and relations."

You need to make the verb and the subject agree: 'sisters' does not go with 'pays'. 'Relations' is ambiguous in this context: do you mean 'relationships', or 'relatives'?

"She can cook a lot of terrific dishes, and I like all of them so bad."

Be aware that using an adjective as an adverb in this way is not standard British English usage, but is largely confined to Americans. So if you are addressing someone who is not from the USA, you should consider rephrasing the last part of the sentence: "...and I like all of them so badly!", or perhaps "...and I like all of them so much!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC