have ago

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Re: have ago

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks alot allot a lot
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dante » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 am

Youre welcome trolley :)
A new update for wws on this pivotal point in the english language:)The number of results for "had ago" is 11.400 and the problem in displaying only 380 results I've solved with clicking the magical option "repeat the search with the omitted results included.".For some reason google decided that the other results for "had ago" were irrelevant.I don't know what were the criteria for omitting the other results but those results also fit the pattern as same as those which were declared relevant for the searched phrase.
Trying your suggestion trolley returned a really big number of results. The phrase "give it ago" returned 62.800 results for british sites versus 4.120 results for american sites. I tried the ommited results this time and they all fit the pattern, i.e the meaning conveyed is "give it a go". The remark that this wording appears only on forums is not entirely correct, since I found the phrasing even on readers' book reviews on amazon,various interviews and many other situations.I've noticed though that it's never in a really formal writing that this illiteracy appears in.
I definitely return to my initial assertion that it must be an illiteracy, however relatively small number of people use it in writing. Finally, I like it. It's cool and I'll give it ago.:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm

While we're taking things with a grain of salt... I don't know how it is for .uk, but I think more .us domains are owned by "foreign entities with a US presence" (which is very minimally enforced) than by actual US entities. We Americans think we own the Internet so our first thought is to register all our domains in .com, .net, and .org. There are probably more US-English-speaker owned sites in .tv than in .us (Tuvalu's 12,000 people decided they'd rather have money than domains).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dante » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:50 pm

I didn't know that irusscable:). In fact I'm an absolute layman as to how people buy web space, domains, hostings and that whole industry.I'm going to check the sites from .us domain closely right away,so I know if there's any use of checking for correct english by restricting the search to us and uk domains.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 am

.. dante might I suggest that this has nothing at all to do with gooits, ghits or googles .. it has to do with what you will find in any respectable dictionary of the English language .. by now you do know how to use onelook.com so I suggest you look up the word ago and the noun go and then base your understanding on that .. this might also be what is the expected true usage by the examiners in any reputable english exam ..

WoZ learning long ago to have a go
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by dante » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:17 am

Hello WoZ,

I must tell you this honestly WoZ. Ne razumijem. It's serbian for "I don't understand". Have you read any of the posts in this thread I wonder WoZ?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 am

.. dante I read every bloody one of them and that is why I say that your question has nothing whatsoever to do with that bane of the ESL learner, Google .. you mentioned that you were aiming to pass an english language exam .. let me tell you that if the examiners put the cleaners through the illiterates that constantly bastardise the english languge by their ramblings on Google there would be a failure rate probably exceeding 60 or 70% .. my suggestion to you remains .. go and look in the dictionary .. NOT in a book of grammar as this has nothing at all to do with syntax .. it has ALL to do with the correct meaning of two English words >> the adjective/adverb ago and the noun go .. meaning establishes allowable usage in a correctly formed sentence of english .. simple mate ..

WoZ looking in the dictionary
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by dante » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 am

I understand you better now WoZ. By opening the thread I didn't ask for the answer as to the correctness of the "have ago" since I knew it can't be correct.I was asking people to give their opinion about this peculiar illiteracy( at least for me it is illiteracy rather than a sort of frequent typos),if it's frequent and how often they come across that phrase in speech or writing.I know it won't be a question on the exam but I was curious to know,I don't see a problem in asking that honestly.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 pm

At least we had a go at it since a couple of days ago.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC