Resume VS Cover letter

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Resume VS Cover letter

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:12 am

Dear friends and teachers,

- I've checked the meaning of "application form" , "resume" and "cover letter", but I couldn't discriminate the difference of them. Could you tell me the difference? :)

Thanks a million!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Resume VS Cover letter

Post by zmjezhd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:28 pm

"application form" , "resume" and "cover letter"

An "application form" is a form that an applicant for a jbo fills out. It usually has blanks for name, address, previous jobs, schools attended, and references. A "resume" (or CV, curriculum vitae) is a chronological list of your previous jobs usually accompanied by a description of the important tasks you accomplished on those jobs. A "cover letter" is a letter to the person who receives your filled application form and your resume. It can cover some detailed reason why you are uniquely qualified for the job you are applying to that may not be apparent from your resume.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:22 pm

STEVENSAKURA wrote:I've checked the meaning ... the difference of them.
I'd really like to know how you checked.

"of" should be "between".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 am

Dear Russcable and other members,

- I just look up the words in some online dictionaries, but their definitions were not very clear to me, that's why I couldn't understand the exact meanings. But now I can understand clearly their meanings thanks to Zmjezhd's explanation. Thanks again for your help Zmjezhd.

Best regards,

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 am

Your first sentence says that your research lead you to believe that they are the same thing - there is no difference/distinction between them. The online dictionary definitions that I found are noticeabley different so I was wondering what you were looking at that made them seem like they might be the same.

I think from your second post that you meant that you were unclear about each of them individually rather than in comparison to each other. Is that right?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC