She walks on water

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

She walks on water

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 am

A: What’s the matter?
B: I’m trying to jot down some ideas for the meeting tonight, but I’m drawing a blank.
A: When I’ve got a block, I often step away from it for a while and come back to it later. Then I can look at it with a fresh perspective.
B: I don’t have time to take a break. I need to come up with something quick or I’ll have to go into that meeting empty-handed. I can’t let Danielle show me up again. At the last meeting, all of the managers loved her ideas and they’re starting to think she walks on water.

- What do "show me up" and "she walks on water" mean in this context?

Thanks very much!

STEVENSAKURA
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: She walks on water

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:19 am

To show someone up = To embarrass another person by demonstrating an unflatteringly superior performance or appearance.

To walk on water = To enjoy an excellent and robust reputation. This description sometimes suggests that the reputation is for some reason undeserved, or that it has resulted from favouritism on the part of an employer or protector.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by russcable » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Walking on water was one of the miracles performed by Jesus in the Bible.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi. Sorry to bring this back to the surface, but I wanted to add something long ago and got too busy. A declaration ("you'd think she walks . . . ") that someone walks on water is often derisive, and really means to say that the person is too good to be true, is inhumanly perfect, or can do no wrong. It goes beyond "an excellent and robust reputation", I think, and would be in any case undeserved.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 am

STEVENSAKURA wrote:A: What’s the matter?
B: I’m trying to jot down some ideas for the meeting tonight, but I’m drawing a blank.
A: When I’ve got a block, I often step away from it for a while and come back to it later. Then I can look at it with a fresh perspective.
B: I don’t have time to take a break. I need to come up with something quick or I’ll have to go into that meeting empty-handed. I can’t let Danielle show me up again. At the last meeting, all of the managers loved her ideas and they’re starting to think she walks on water.

- What do "show me up" and "she walks on water" mean in this context?

Thanks very much!

STEVENSAKURA
In this context, the phrases respectively mean; the fear of being exposed as an incompetent if compared with Danielle and jealousy of Danielle's creativity, competence, and the managers' perceived value of her ideas/contributions to the last meeting.

Given the exchange between A and B, it appears B can see no other context outside himself. Moreover, his dismissal of A's advice confirms his thinking he can step twice into the same river. Danielle may well use B to mop the floor.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC