Are you exaggerating?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Are you exaggerating?

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:23 pm

A: You know what? Peter has 3 villas, 2 helicopters and 8 cars.
B: Are you exaggerating? / Are you lying to me?

- Are B's two questions natural?

Thanks a lot!

STEVENSAKURA
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Are you exaggerating?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes.

Other ways to ask the qestion:

Are you sure you're not exaggerating?

Did you make that up?

(Are) you having me on?

Are you (bull)shitting me? [Vulgar usage]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by minjeff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Two more common answers that would be common in my conversations would be:

-Really?!
-Are you serious?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by trolley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm

A common answer used by my teen-aged daughter and her friends:
Shut-Up! (she assures me that she's not being rude. Apparently it means " You have got to be kidding!)
.............Shut-Up!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:31 pm

You've got to be joking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 am

trolley, she's not being rude. At least in my experience it's not intended as rude. I suppose you know your daughter best though
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by trolley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:24 am

Oh, I believe her, although I had to warn her not to use the expression when we're at Nana's house. I can remember the taste of Ivory Soap, even to this day!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I've heard "shut up" used this way and it sounds rude, unless it's said with just the right inflection: something about more emphasis on "up" and less on "shut". I can't do it, but I know it when I hear it.

One of my fave expressions along these lines is "Get out of town!" or, more precisely, "Git outta town!" Frequently, this is shortened to, "Git out!" or, more formally, "Get out!"

By the way, I'm sorry to drag these really ancient threads to the surface, but when I go away for awhile, I can't resist reading everything I've missed -- sometimes I have to add a little something . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC