I wish you didn't/wouldn't smoke

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

I wish you didn't/wouldn't smoke

Post by JerrySmile » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 am

Hello:

Could you tell me your view on how these two compare, the finer points:

I wish you didn't smoke.
I wish you wouldn't smoke.

Thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: I wish you didn't/wouldn't smoke

Post by minjeff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 am

Hello Jerry,

I wish you didn't smoke. - This one to me says that "you" smoke and I don't like it.
I wish you wouldn't smoke.- This one more says that "you" are smoking now, and I don't like it, so please stop. It could also have the same meaning of the first sentence.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Yes, agreed. Odd one that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by hsargent » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Didn't smoke is a concern for the person's health.

Wouldn't smoke is a concern for one's own discomfort.

As an aside..... I can't remember when smoking rules and customs changed. It was obnoxious before say the 80's or 1990 when everyone could smokee just about everywhere. I never liked it.

With the change of customs ... in a Chemical plant where smoking had been allow in the control rooms but this was changed to a remote outdoor covered area... then laws were enacted where there were restaurants with restricted smoking areas and airports had smoking rooms. No smoking in airplanes.... it took a while for international flights to have no smoking.

Now I can go a year without being exposed to smoke. Outside of Malls entries is a gauntlet which had to be run.

The few times I have gone to Europe, this was the primary negative. In England, a non-smoking hotel room meant they removed the ash tray! But can you imagine Ireland not allowing smoking in their Pubs. I would guess that Russia, China, and India have not restricted their smoking.

This is one of the most significant changes in my lifetime as far as personal comfort. I remember my mother tried to take up smoking when I was young. My sister and I refused to kiss her and that was the end of that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Smoking in public places was stopped in Wales a while before England. When I visited my moiety's family in Yorkshire, and people were still smoking in pubs it looked very odd indeed.

From a personal point of view, I am very pleased that I had packed in before the ban, I would have felt a right twit having to stand outside a pub in the rain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 pm

I took a flight with Turkish Air about 15 years ago, back when I was a smoker. I sat in the smoking section not knowing anything about the Turkish passion for chain smoking black tobacco. By the end of the flight I had been cured of my habit.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by JerrySmile » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Thank you all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:33 pm

JerrySmile wrote:Thank you all.
Who all?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by minjeff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Jerry may be from the Southern region/culture of the US. Since living down here, I've picked up the second person plural "y'all".

By the way, a few of our states have no smoking in public places as well, including restaurants, bars, and clubs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Tony Farg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Our 'ouse has one too. It's a bugger when its raining.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC