as if

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

as if

Post by trex » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:20 am

The questions below were asked in a nationwide exam in Turkey. As the official keys were not published in those years (before 2006), we do not know which choice the testing board accepted as correct. Have you got any idea? Thanks.

1. It looks as though an agreement ---- yesterday between the two sides.

a) would reach
b) is reached
c) would be reached
d) had been reached
e) was reached

2. When I accidentally broke Mr. Parker's antique Chinese vase, I felt as if I ---- a criminal.

A) am being
B) have been
C) am being
D) were
E) had been
Post actions:

Re: as if

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:35 am

The answers being sought are 1. e) and 2. d); 1. d) could also be correct in certain circumstances. So could 2. e), although it would require a somewhat unusual interpretation of the situation.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:18 am

Interesting though it is, how did this post manage to get into the Archive?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Bob, It looks like you can post to the Archives if you go to the Board Index and just choose to post to one of the archived forums. I agree that it doesn't seem kosher that one can post a New Topic to the Archives. Phil would probably have to take a look at this. It might be built into the system and difficult to change and since the damage is minimal, not worth the effort. I moved this posting back to the current forum.

Ken – October 12, 2008

Note: I've moved this topic from the Archives back to the current Usage and Writing forum. So don't think from Bob's above posting that he has flipped his lid.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:18 am

A funny thing happened to trex's posting on its way to the Forum.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:23 pm

That deserves an OPL Edwin.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:47 am

Edwin, But we better keep this quiet and zero must tell!

Ken - October 24, 2008
Post actions:

End of topic.