Heavy snowfall

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Heavy snowfall

Post by dalehileman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Front page, Jan 27 Victorville, CA Press Dispatch:

Avalanches typically follow heavy snowfall

"...anytime there is just too much snow"--National Weather Service

When I showed it to Laverne, who is much smarter than I, she had no reaction whatever, leaving me to wonder whether I might possess some sort of offbeat discernment
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Heavy snowfall

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 pm

If you mean that "any time" is two words I wholeheartedly agree.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Heavy snowfall

Post by dalehileman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm

No, not it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Heavy snowfall

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Typically? On the level?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Heavy snowfall

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:39 pm

The Riddler strikes again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Heavy snowfall

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 am

.. dale it seems that the local readers also found this depth of insight astonishing .. these comments appeared ..
stevesobol wrote - Look, I don't bag on the Daily Press (too often, anyhow), but come on... first the revelation that icy conditions cause auto accidents, and now this?

4freedom wrote - Wow, Great informative article. Now, all I need is some 'Pro' to explain why I get wet when it rains. I'm also confused as to why the sun burns my skin. My mother told me not to touch a hot stove. She must be a 'pro'.
.. but for me dale just thanks for making me aware of this astonishing connection .. coming from a part of the world where snow is not an everyday happening and where we need to drive for at least seven hours to aquaint ourselves with the white stuff it is timely that this type of factual knowledge is placed in the public domain .. locally we are attempting to work out the connection between waves, water and beaches .. we know there is something going on but ...........

WoZ of Aus 28/01/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Heavy snowfall

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Wiz thanks for your support, I was beginning to wonder whether in my 78th year I might be losing it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Heavy snowfall

Post by russcable » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 pm

While I'm not an avalance expert, it seems to me from what I do know about them that one snowfall does not an avalanche make no matter how heavy the one snowfall is.
The story http://tinyurl.com/24lp2t seems to be making this point (that a heavy snowfall can trigger an avalanche from pre-existing conditions). I think the quote (which actually begins "In a nutshell,...") is taken out of context by the writer of the article.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Heavy snowfall

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:16 pm

russ, as a matter of fact human activity is sometimes blamed, while I suppose an earth tremor might do it also. However, analyzing the phenomenon itself somewhat dampens the drift of the thread

...like when one feels driven to explain a joke

Puns (2) intended; forgive
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Heavy snowfall

Post by jeffreys » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:20 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:Typically? On the level?
How does an avalanche happen on the level anyway? Does it not have to fall from up there to down here?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:46 pm

At last.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 pm

The article is obviously a snow-job deflecting suspicion from the new weaponised snowflake which gives rise to 75% more avalanches due to its greater potential to roll freely. A Pentagon Plot.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Exacerbated by G.W.(Global Warming) Bush.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm

And of course British Rail weren't given the antifreezedote.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC