He may have been waiting

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

He may have been waiting

Post by JerrySmile » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello:

How about this usage of "may" in the future?

By 5 o'clock tomorrow, he may have arrived here.
He may have been waiting for us for an hour by the time our train finally arrives.

Thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

He may have been waiting

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Why not?
He may have arrived here by 5 o'clock tomorrow, trips off the tongue more than your example, and in truth I would probably have said "could well have" instead of may, but I see no reason not to use it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

He may have been waiting

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:08 pm

By 5 o'clock tomorrow, he may have arrived here.

Laverne, who is much smarter than I, says it's awkward, that colloqually it s/b "He may have arrived by...," while the "here" seems unnecessary unless there are a number of alternate destinations at which he might instead arrive

He may have been waiting for us for an hour by the time our train finally arrives.

I would delete the second "for"

...or even "for us for"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

He may have been waiting

Post by JerrySmile » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Thank you both. I can sleep better:-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

He may have been waiting

Post by Berale » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:32 am

Hmmm... Doesn't sound right to me. Bob's "could well have" sounds much better. I don't think it's correct to use "may" in this way, but it's too late at night to try and work out why.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

He may have been waiting

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:48 pm

...though "could well have" is a bit snooty

"might have" is another colloqual you might consider
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

He may have been waiting

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:51 pm

I disagree with Dale's perception of "could well have", which I don't think is at all snooty. Rather, it suggests that the speaker is fairly uncertain about how probable the circumstances are that he is positing.

In fact, I think the various ways of expressing the thought all correspond to different assessments of the probability of the event in question. From the least to the most confident assertion, in my opinion the scale ranges from "might have" through "could well have" to "may have", with "could well have" suggesting a fair bit of wiggle room.

Others may disagree.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Re: He may have been waiting

Post by jeffreys » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:17 pm

MAY and MIGHT do not mean the same.
John may have killed someone last week = perhaps he did, perhaps he didn't. We don't know.
John might have killed someone last week = he could easily have done but for some reason he didn't.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Sorry Jeffrey, I don't agree.

"John might have killed someone last week", can easily mean someone is dead, and it could be John wot dun it.
Correct typo
Last edited by Bobinwales on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 pm

If these were to be spoken, the voice could well make them assume their several possible meanings.
To dispute their written meanings without context is another path to THE END!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Either way, I think John should be brought in for questioning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Garanhir » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi All,

The editor in me experiences a degree of horripilation when I see such inelegant construction. I'd go with:

He may have waited an hour before our train arrives.

or even:

He may have to wait an hour for our train to arrive.

or, if I was feeling maximally minimalist:

He may have to wait an hour for our train.

I honestly don't see that the original offers anything more to the reader than the last version. (Of course, by five o'clock tomorrow, I may have had to revise my opinion according to whatever responses might have been engendered by this!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "And what is the use of a book" thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
- Lewis Carroll

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC