reception wording and hyphens

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Shelley » Mon May 14, 2007 3:34 pm

. . . and those designed for baying at the moon.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Meirav Micklem » Mon May 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Whilst "post-post-concert-reception reception" may be strictly correct, it's not exactly the most clear terminology.

Why not just say "a party after the reception"? or "a post-reception party" if you want a shorter version?

I guess the question is what your aim is - do you want to sound clever or do you want to get a message across? (Of course it would be nice to achieve both but I don't think it's always possible.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 pm

At least when G W Bush tries to achieve both and fails, he fails with utter perfection.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Meirav Micklem » Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 pm

So, Erik, let me see if I've got this right - you've been very subtle, but I seem to get the impression that maybe, just maybe, you're not very fond of George. Warm?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue May 15, 2007 1:24 am

Well, this George of the Jungle hardly improves on the original.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Curtis » Tue May 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Thank you for all your replies! Actually, I'm a concert pianist myself who knows about receptions in general from long experience. I felt my solution would add a bit of levity to the invitations which tend to be grim. Yes, people would probably know each other. The green rooms (hardly ever green)are very seldom comfortable and never relaxing, hence the opportunity to unwind a bit later on. It was the punctuation that had me flustered.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: cstotlar

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 15, 2007 4:31 pm

They named a school after you!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Curtis » Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 pm

And I'm trying to get a student into it right now!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 pm

It's fully-endowed, isn't it!?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Curtis » Thu May 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Indeed it is.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri May 18, 2007 10:38 pm

After the party of the party of the second part, you'll believe in Sanity Clause.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC