reception wording and hyphens

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Curtis » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 pm

If I am giving a private reception to a musician after the official one in the green room, do I call it a "post-post-concert-reception reception"?
Curtis
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: cstotlar

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri May 11, 2007 6:10 pm

yes

or

a party

(The hyphenization is correct by my way of thinking.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri May 11, 2007 7:34 pm

. . . or a post-do do.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 pm

It does not do to pooh-pooh a post-do do.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by russcable » Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 pm

This green room (the off-stage waiting area of a theater) must be a much nicer place than most I've seen if they're hosting an official reception there.
If you are giving a reception _for_ someone, it's generally for the purpose of introducing them to people. You usually have a "receiving line" for guests to meet the honoree, e.g. the newly created Mrs. Jones at a wedding reception. Sometimes, a party is just a party.
This also sounds like a situation where the guests will know what is going on before. As with a wedding where the guests know it's a post-wedding reception, there's probably not much need for the "post-concert" bit but only to convey that the second party is after the first. Even that should be fairly obvious as there can't very well be two parties honoring the same person at the same time.
Rather than "After the post-concert reception, join us at X for the post post-concert-reception reception" just "After the reception, join us at X to continue honoring our guest."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Sat May 12, 2007 2:38 pm

If the concert in question is a vocal recital, you could invite folks to a post-doe soi-ray me. (Oof, that one was really not worth the treble!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun May 13, 2007 6:50 pm

On the contralto Shelley. I picked up the tenor of your joke even though it was quite bassic.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 pm

On the other hand, I see the conductor waving his clef stick in your direction.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 14, 2007 12:21 am

The staff has noted this.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 am

Hear, hear! Let's not be playing to the choir!

Ken - May 13, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon May 14, 2007 7:21 am

You can't beat a well-orchestrated response.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon May 14, 2007 9:34 am

Staving off the musical wit and harping back to the original post : Curtis , I like the title - go for it.

and Russ
If you are giving a reception _for_ someone, it's generally for the purpose of introducing them to people
. I would have described a reception as being to honour a person/couple/team. Quite often everyone already knows each other.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 14, 2007 11:10 am

Russ has invented lowphens?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon May 14, 2007 2:36 pm

I thought fens exist because they are low enough to be in the nether regions.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon May 14, 2007 2:39 pm

I think, concerning -phenestration, especially regarding the musical types, you have your celestery and your bassment windows.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS