Loathing of crowds

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Loathing of crowds

Post by coxie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:17 am

Can anybody give me a single word that describes a LOATHING OF CROWDS
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:58 am

Hi coxie. Agoraphobia is, literally, the fear of the market place and means a fear of "open spaces" or going out. From my computer's Oxford American Dictionary:

ag o ra pho bi a |?ag?r??f?b??|
noun
extreme or irrational fear of crowded spaces or enclosed public places.

DERIVATIVES
agoraphobic |-?f?bik| adjective & noun
agoraphobe |?ag?r??f?b| noun

ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from Greek agora ‘place of assembly, marketplace’ + -phobia .

If you accept "fear and loathing" as a single emotion in this context, then I would say agoraphobia is your word.

In a google search, I saw the word "demophobia" for fear of crowds, but my dictionary does not list the word.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:06 am

Looking up the phrase "loathing of crowds" using http://www.OneLook.com 's reverse dictionary points one to demophobia, ochlophobia and enochlophobia. The same tool also led me to a long list of phobias at http://www.phobialist.com .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Loathing of crowds

Post by coxie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:49 am

Thanks to all but the question is not about a 'fear' of crowds but a word that decribes a 'loathing' of crowds as in: abhorence, detestation, disgust, etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:07 am

In that case, I suggest you try the same exercise I did and keep clicking the OneLook reverse dictionary hits to see what turns up. But if, as I suspect, nothing does, it will be pretty unlikely that there are any better candidates than these.

I also put it to you that fear and loathing are closely-related emotions that tend to blend into each other.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Loathing of crowds

Post by coxie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:26 am

Thanks Erik.
I tried "clicking" and "clicking" and .... but, they (clicks) all end as ...phobias, i.e. a fear of something, which is not the 'emotion' that I had in mind. 'We' all know of something in this world that 'we' have to get involved with but don't fear the involvement, nor the place of involvement, just the abhorence, detestation, disgust, etc. with having to deal with it because it is not in accord with our psyche.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:47 am

.. coxie I agree thoroughly that fear and loathing do not equate to the same emotion .. there are many things that I do not fear but absolutely loathe .. an easy example is in my work where I go to several different sites on a rotating basis .. I fear none of them but I loathe going to a few of them .. often when I go shopping at a large shopping centre and discover that there is a humungous sale underway I do not fear the crowd but loathe the disadvantges that large shopping crowds bring .. on the other hand I could think of situations where I would fear the crowd as in say a riot ..

WoZ of Aus 28/04/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Loathing of crowds

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:58 pm

anti-social
reclusive
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:59 pm

I agree that fear is different than loathing, which is why I suggested it might be necessary to accept the two as one in this case. If loathing is going to stand alone, then "misanthropy", the dislike of humankind, might work. However, misanthropy is directed toward any human, all humans, in the abstract and not particularly those in a crowd. A lot of the places I've looked at use fear and/or dislike together. Hmm . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by NogaNote » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 pm

According to wikipaedia "Phobia is also used in a non-medical sense for aversions of all sorts. These terms are usually constructed with the suffix -phobia. A number of these terms describe negative attitudes or prejudices towards the named subjects. See Non-clinical uses of the term below."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia#Non ... f_the_term
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Phil White » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:50 pm

"misodemia" would be the logical word, but there's only one useful Google hit (by the looks of it a PhD from a native French-speaking classicist) and nothing in any of my dictionaries.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Loathing of crowds

Post by coxie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Once again, thanks to all contributors. I think gdwdwrkr and my wife share a similar opinion about yours truly's psyche, but NogaNote's excellent suggestion (aversions) does not truly describe the meaning (that WoZ has come closest to understanding) for the missing word. Clearly, what OED, and others have not fully developed, at least as far as I am aware, is a comprehensive REVERSE DICTIONARY, but then again the W..W..W.. would not have brought forth the W..onderful W..izard of W..ords, either. I'll just have to keep looking or; maybe, 'we' may need to invent a new word. Now! Where should 'we' start?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 am

With Phil's posting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by coxie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 pm

That 'hit' is circumfluously circumfused with circumforaneous circumlocution about poor old Soc's unfortunuate demise!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Loathing of crowds

Post by tony h » Tue May 01, 2007 12:19 pm

demoakoysios would seem a good candidate for coinage
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.