concerning (adjective)

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

concerning (adjective)

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 am

If '[is] concerning' sounds alien to you, Ken, does the phrase 'causes concern' (which to me means more or less the same thing) sound equally strange?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

concerning (adjective)

Post by russcable » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:55 pm

Doesn't sound odd to my US ears.

Timmy the Dog was in the Famous Five.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

concerning (adjective)

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:54 am

Erik, “Causes concern” sounds fine to me because here ‘concern’ is used as a noun. It is the adjective ‘concerning’ that sounds odd to me, which seems to be consistent with the many dictionaries which either list the participle adjective as being ‘archaic’ (e.g. Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionary) or don't list it at all (Merriam-Webster Online, Random House Unabridged Dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary, Encarta, Compact Oxford English Dictionary, Wiktionary.

Ken - October 5, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: concerning (adjective)

Post by WallyJr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for the great explanation of "is concerning." I hear Erin Burnett of CNBC use it frequently and it has always annoyed me. Now I will cut her some slack.

Thanks again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: concerning (adjective)

Post by Shelley » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Cut her some jacket while you're at it, WallyJr. ;^)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC