tell

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

tell

Post by Doris Ray » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi, my humble input would be to replace the word "anybody" with the word "anyone" --it just sounds better to me but then I may be slightly tone deaf...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Doris Ray

tell

Post by tony h » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 pm

His private phone numbers, both mobile and home, are not to be disclosed to anyone.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

tell

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:48 pm

dalehileman wrote: The cards are red or black
dalehileman wrote: gd: When I asked Laverne, who is a whole lot quicker than I, she said "The sentence is ok. It means that there are a number of cards, and some of them are red while some of them are black, though all could be red or all black"
does not support
dalehileman wrote: It's a highly technical point, but "or" also means "and/or" so there's no ambiguity in Erik's response
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:02 pm

tony h wrote: His private phone numbers, both mobile and home, are not to be disclosed to anyone.
Ooo, tony h: nicely done!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:07 pm

gd: Actually they do. Forgive me for being unclear upon this point, I've made it a NY's resolution to correct my slovenly inexactitude, which has been so forcefully brought to my attention in many biting and sarcastic followups

"Please do not tell anybody his home phone number or [his] mobile [phone] number" as provided by Erik in the very best idiom could conceivably be misinterpreted by an English student to mean that although you mustn't tell either his home or mobile number, it would be ok to tell both

I attempted merely to bring across that point more forcefully in the example, "The cards are red or black" which the student would be more likely to interpret as meaning that all the cards have to be one color
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:17 pm

He should change his phone numbers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

tell

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Who wants to call him anyway?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC